Data Engineer Biotechnological Processes
Viralgen is a CDMO born as a joint venture between AskBio and Columbus Venture Partners created in response to the unmet need for manufacturing of gene therapies. Our goal is to help broaden the access to these life-saving therapeutics and contribute to the advancement of health and human welfare around the world.
We are excited for our next Data Engineer to join the Viralgen team!
About the role
We are seeking a Data Engineer who will play a key role on the structure of the company as part of the Data Science department.
The main responsibility of this role is to support the implementation of a commercial off-the shelf solution and become Viralgen expert in this field. This commercial solution makes data generated in production equipments, accessible in real time for everybody in the company. This commercial solution consists of a data collection step, where data from the equipments is collected (e.g. Bioreactors, Chromatography). The second step is the storage, where data is organized and contextualized in a time-series data base (Historian). The third step is to deliver real time data for monitoring purposes, analytics and to other applications.
- Prepare infrastructure at Viralgen previous to software installation: connect production equipments to a network with support from IT department. Be sure servers are ready for the installation. Identify the signals from each equipment that need to be transferred to the central server.
- Setup the tool in collaboration with an external specialized company: develop templates in the tool to contextualize the data, define events, notifications, etc. Setup visualization tool: Current batch, historical batches, comparison with “golden batch”, etc. In collaboration with the Operation department.
- Become Viralgen expert in this tool, taking care of the maintenance of the tool and also responsible of interfaces of this tool with other applications. You are able to connect new equipment, new signals and also to modify the visualization tool.
- Foster a dynamic, communicative and respectful work culture within the team and between different departments.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering: Computer Engineer, Software Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Chemical Engineering or equivalent with at least 5 years experience or:
- a M.S. degree in Engineering + 3 years experience.
- Experience with biotechnological production equipment’s (Bioreactors, Chromatography) and their communication protocols is highly valuable.
- Experience with data bases, virtual machines and VPN is highly valuable.
- Experience with PI Server (OsiSoft) is a plus.
- Good oral and written communication skills, being able to communicate complex concepts and data insights in English. Fluent in English and Spanish.
- You have demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team environment (e.g. You are able to independently develop and implement technical solutions).
- You have strong problem solving skills and a critical thinking.
- You have demonstrated the ability to think creatively and take initiative.
- You are self-motivated and used to work in a multidisciplinary environment.
- You are able to learn new technical topics and develop new technical skills quickly.
- Proactive and positive attitude to change and challenges.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated passion for producing high-quality work.